Saturday 9 February 2008

Massachusetts Mermaid

Massachusetts Mermaid tells us:

Every summer our apartment goes up to 90°F (32°C I think) as we have no AC, and the only way to keep from fainting is to stand under a cold shower in shorts (w/ underwear) and tanktop (no bra) and soak myself till I'm freezing, and then go about my day slowly evaporating in the process.

When I was 17 or 18, I was out with friends near a lake one warm summer evening, and as if on cue we ran into the water fully clothed, shoes and all. It was so warm and...soft I guess is the best word, like a baby's caress. I can still see the stars clearly in my head as I floated on my back kicking lazily across the surface. And wasn't my mother mad at me when I got into the car later! She had some newspapers for me to sit on, so that at least kept my father from getting into the act.

No comments: